Our success is driven by the relationships we forge with our clients. For that we need people with good legal and personal skills and a commitment to improve.
The reputation of Burt Brill & Cardens is linked directly to the quality of our people. Our open approach to management means that almost all information is available across the firm. Flat management structures mean plenty of potential for responsibility and career progression.
If you’re ready for a new challenge and want to contribute your skills and expertise, apply to one of our job offers below.
About the Role
We are looking for an outstanding candidate to head up one of our four core teams. As the key figure in our family team, you will have the chance to lead and develop a happy and productive team, delivering quality legal service to privately paying clients.
You will be responsible for your own caseload and will use your experience and knowledge to work with our Managing Director both to grow the size of the team’s portfolio and to drive the personal development of more junior members of the team.
Whilst we have clients across the country and even abroad, our young, bright, well-trained and enthusiastic team primarily serve the people of Brighton, Sussex and the South East. We believe that we provide the highest quality of legal service to our clientele, as our Google reviews reflect, and seek to improve our reach so that we might enjoy even more mutually beneficial relationships.
Founded in Brighton in 1893 and are well known locally both for our integrity and for the quality of our work. We are proud of our history and proud of our journey so far.
How We Work
Standards at the firm are high and this will suit prospective employees who hold themselves to high standards, as well as those who possess drive and confidence. We have very reasonable billing targets and promote a healthy work/life balance but expect our staff to give their all when on the clock.
What You’ll be Doing
- Maintaining and growing your own portfolio of work, including a range of privately funded matrimonial, child and family matters including but not limited to; divorce, financial provision, pre/post nuptial agreements.
- Leading your small team and providing expertise, coaching and guidance to more junior colleagues.
- Working with the Managing Director to expand the portfolio of the team.
Who You Are
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You have a positive approach to work and it’s challenges
- You are amiable and easy to work with
- You take an interest in the advancement of others
- You are a quick learner and embrace change
- You believe that you are responsible for your own destiny
- You count honesty and integrity as two of your core, personal values
- You are a qualified solicitor or chartered legal executive
What We're Looking For From You
- 1 or more years of post-qualification experience in privately funded family law
- An appetite for ownership and accountability
- Experience helping others to deliver in their role, and a desire to further develop your own skills
Pay and Rewards
- Flexible working – We believe that teams and professionals grow and improve optimally when working in physical proximity. That said, we also understand the substantial benefit that flexible working can offer. As such our staff can work up to 2 days per week at home.
- Excellent working conditions – We are a happy and committed firm and believe that a positive atmosphere and working culture is a genuine selling point for us.
- Salary – To reflect our high standards and the training investment we make in our staff, we pay above local average salaries.
- Career Prospects – We promote staff where we can, including into Directorships where appropriate.
If you’re ready for a new challenge and want to contribute your skills and expertise, apply now by sending in your CV and cover letter. We look forward to hearing from you.
"(Required)" indicates required fields
Paralegal - Registration of Interest (Spring 2024)
Deadline for Applications: March 1st, 2024
Burt Brill & Cardens are offering a unique opportunity for prospective paralegals to express their interest in joining our esteemed firm. We are looking for legal assistance in one of our 4 departments:
- Private Client
- Family Law
Your registration of interest will be evaluated in alignment with our needs and you may be invited for further discussions when paralegal positions become available.
In the ‘What role are you applying for?’ section let us know all your preferred legal areas of interest (you can say all if you have no preference).
Please upload your CV below. A cover letter is not necessary for this part of the process.
"(Required)" indicates required fields
Why join us?
- Holidays ranging from 20-30 days plus bank holidays
- Individual training budget
- Education and training support
- Flexible and remote working
- Pension scheme
- Professional subscriptions paid
Work for a people-centred Firm
We believe working effectively means getting on with your colleagues. We are a young friendly team. There is an active social calendar, from drinks after work to more organised events. Everyone is encouraged, if their home commitments permit, to get involved in outside work activities, whether it be voluntary or charity work or sporting activities.
Training & Development
Develop your skills while you work
Career development is of key importance; we offer mentoring and training in-house and training courses from outside suppliers. Courses cover everything from personal skills such as networking and time management to legal knowledge.
- We work on career planning with everyone throughout the firm to identify career development and training opportunities. All newly qualified solicitors do the Law Society Management course.
- Our specialist legal training is delivered in a variety of ways, from web-based training, one-to-one mentoring, in-house training including training provided by legal trainers.
- All courses are reviewed to monitor the effectiveness of our training programme and other issues.